Sophie on reception / At the garden centre
Work experience is an integral part of a study programme for all students, including those with learning difficulties or disabilities. Many colleges offer ‘internal’ – i.e. college managed – work placements as a starting point, such as cafes and shops (on and off site), work on reception, site maintenance, and horticulture.
Finding external work placements requires good engagement with employers, so that they understand the real benefits of taking on students with a learning difficulty or disability. Colleges work hard to develop and maintain these relationships, as our work experience survey shows
For students, there are many benefits. They learn and practice skills related to their areas of interest, they develop their general employability skills – the positive character and attitudes that employers value so highly – and they can make informed choices about future employment.
There are lots of work experience stories in the student section.
- Natspec and Fair Train join forces to promote employer engagement October 17, 2016 Sharing ideas and thinking creatively Read more about this post
- New Report Recommends Action on Transitions into Employment for Disabled Learners June 19, 2016 An employer-led group has recommended action to help young people with SEND make the transition from education to employment. Action includes employers offering more supported internships, opening up apprenticeships to more young people with SEND, and better careers advice. The Transitions to Employment Group was chaired by former Lloyds Banking Group senior manager Graeme Whippy MBE, ... Read more about this post
- Work Experience Week 2015 – a look back November 4, 2015 A busy and successful time for the many organisations that took part. Read more about this post
- From work experience to apprenticeship October 20, 2015 Beth secured a full time apprenticeship at EMH Homes where she had been on work placement. Read more about this post
- Work experience remains a positive one for employers October 13, 2015 Employers are impressed with the support they are offered Read more about this post
- Work Experience Week October 7, 2015 Freeman College hosts exhibition of students’ work experience to celebrate Work Experience Week! Read more about this post
- 79% of Foxes Academy’s Leavers are in Work August 24, 2015 A Remarkable Success Read more about this post
- Work Experience Week 2014 – a look back November 3, 2014 Work Experience Week 2014 appears to have been a great success Read more about this post
- Work experience in specialist colleges – a view from Ofsted October 17, 2014 Here are some examples of what outstanding practice looks like. Read more about this post
- What do employers think? October 16, 2014 Every year Natspec member colleges survey the employers who provide work experience for their students. Read more about this post